Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Use of Must and can’t

Discussion:

Simi: My house is very near the motorway.

Riva: It must be very noisy.

You can use must to say that you believe something is certain:

  • You’ve been traveling all day. You must be tired. (Traveling is tiring and you’ve been traveling all day, so you must be tired.)
  • ‘Jim is a hard worker’. Jim? You must be joking. He doesn’t do anything.’
  • Carol must get very bored in her job. She does the same thing every day.
  • I’m sure Sally gave me her phone number. I must have it somewhere.

You can use can’t to say that you believe something is not possible:

  • You’ve just had lunch. You can’t be hungry already. (People are not normally hungry just after eating a meal.
  • They haven’t lived here for very long. They can’t know many people.

Study and structure:

I/you/he (etc)

Must

Can’t

Be (tired/hungry/at work etc)

Be ( doing/going/joking etc)

Do/get/know/have etc

For the past we use must have (done) and can’t have (done):

  • There’s nobody at home. They must have gone out

Situation:

Martin and Lucy are standing at the door of their friends house.

They have rung the doorbell twice, but nobody has answered. Luch says:

They must have gone out.

  • I didn’t here the phone. I must have been asleep.
  • ‘I’ve lost one of my gloves.’ You must have drooped it somewhere.
  • Sue hasn’t contacted me. she can’t have got my message.
  • Tom walked into a wall. He can’t have been looking where he was going.

Study and structure:

I/you/he (etc)

Must

Can’t

have

Been (asleep/at work etc.)

Been (doing/looking etc.)

Gone/got/known etc.

You can use couldn’t have instead of can’t have:

  • sue couldn’t have got my message.
  • Tom couldn’t have been looking where he was going.